Easy To Make Homemade Laundry Soap
Homemade laundry soap can be very valuable when it comes to performing some specific function such as removing serious stains. There are many good commercial detergents out there but not many can perform some kind of serious tasks.
Whether you choose to make handmade soaps or get detergent straight from the store, you can still get desired results with the washing tips mentioned below. However, making your own homemade laundry soap brings more satisfaction to see the fine result of your product.
Homemade soap and Tips
Fabric stain removal laundry soap
Let me share with you how to make the best stain remover for clothes that can last you longer than what you buy in the store. All you need are 4 ingredients which can be found in stores like Walmart.
- 1/3 Fels-naptha soap
- ½ cup of washing soda
- ½ cup of borax
- 6 cups of hot water to start with
Add 1/3 grated fels-naptha soap to 6 cups of hot water in a big bowl. Heat it on stove until soap dissolves. Stir in the washing soda and borax until they are all dissolved and thick like honey. Remove from heat and pour it in a 6 gallon bucket. Add 4 more cups of hot water to it and stir to blend.
Add another 22 cups of water (1gallon and 6 cups) to the mixture and stir to blend evenly. Set it aside for 24 hours and then pour it into plastic milk or water jugs for storage. Any time you want to do laundry, add ½ cup to a load in the laundry machine for good cleaning.
This can save you a lot of money from buying laundry soap regularly. This is a simple homemade laundry soap that can last you for a long time.
Homemade Laundry soap - liquid
- ½ cup of powder laundry detergent
- ½ cup of borax
- 2 cups of water
Pour these recipes in a saucepan and place over low heat for 10 minutes. Stir constantly to break all lumps. Remove from heat and let it cool down and pour in a plastic container. Use it on any delicate fabrics when you do your laundry. If time is on your side, you can practice with this homemade laundry soap.
Making a natural laundry soap
For extra cleaning of dirty clothing the following ingredients can of great help in addition to some essential oils that add fresh, clean scent.
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil
- 10 drops of grapefruit essential oil
- 1 cup of baking soda
- 1 cup of powdered castle soap
- 1 cup of borax
Add the lavender and grapefruit essential oils to the baking soda drop by drop and use a hand sifter to mix it well. Add the castle soap and borax and mix again. Pour it in a tightly covered container for storage. Use ½ cup to a load of laundry anytime you need to wash. This is a fresh homemade laundry soap idea the for good washing.
How to remove spots on fabric
Natural stain remover
This natural remedy can remove any type of stain from clothes if you catch it quickly.
- 1 tablespoon of natural liquid dishwashing soap
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable glycerin
- ½ cup of water
Mix all the ingredients together and pour into plastic squeeze bottle. Squeeze into the stains and wash in laundry.
Liquid – powder detergent for spots
- Mix equal parts of liquid dishwasher detergent, powdered dishwasher detergent, and baking soda together and rub some on the stained area. Let it dry out and wipe the spot with wet cloth. Wash it after that, and the stains are gone.
Murphy oil soap
- This is good for ring-around-the-collar shirts, grass stains, grease spots, and many common laundry spots. Combine 1 part of Murphy oil soap with 1 part of water and use it to spray the stained areas. After a while you can wash clothes in laundry machine with homemade laundry soap or any other kind of soap. You can get the Murphy soap in Target, Lowe's, Bed Bath & Beyond.
Perspiration stains with aspirin
- Aspirin is not only for headaches. You can use it to remove perspiration stains from your cloth. Dissolve several tablets in hot water and pour over the stained spot. This will do away with the stain.
Bleach and vinegar
- Bleach is good for removing stains but sometimes it can hurt the clothes so add 1 cup of white vinegar to the bleach to prevent it from harming your clothes.
- You can use cream soda to remove coffee stain from your fabric. Apply some cream soda to the spot area, blot and rinse with cold water and allow it to dry. After that you can wash it in laundry machine.
Baby wipes remedy
- If you are a new mother on the go and happen to have stain on your cloth, wipe it with with baby wipe to prevent it from spreading until you wash it in the laundry.
- Use a non-gel toothpaste to wash away food stain on fabrics. Add the toothpaste to the area and soft brush it under cold running water. After that you can wash it in the laundry machine. Repeat if necessary.
Flour for greasy fabric
- Pour some flour and spread it out to cover the grease on your fabric and let it sit for 1 hour to soak in the grease. Brush off the flour and apply any liquid laundry stain remover to it before washing it.
Shampoo with honey
- A mixture of shampoo with a little amount of honey brushed into a stained fabric, rinsed, and washed in laundry machine can remove stains.
- Rub the stained fabric spots vigorously with fels-naptha soap and wash with in laundry machine with laundry soap to remove stains.
Dishwasher for whites
- Smear dishwasher on stained white fabric and wash in laundry machine to remove stains. Use this on white fabrics only because the detergent contains bleach.
White chalk remedy
- Rub white chalk on stained rings of shirt collar and wash as usual to remove stains. Rub white calk on grease stain on fabric and wait for it to absorb the grease. Wash fabric as usual after that.
WD 40 for grease
- WD40 is used to stop squeaks especially on automotives. However, it has a surprise for you. Spray it on stain spots of your cloth and wash normally as you do. It is known to remove all kinds of grease spots.
Club soba and baking soda
- For stubborn grass stains mix a thick paste of baking soda with water and rub it on the stained area, then dip a brush in plane club soda and scrub it. After that you can wash it the usual way. You may also brush some corn syrup to the affected area and wash as usual to remove grass stain.
Peanut butter oil for gums
- If you get gum stains in your fabric, spread peanut utter on it and wait for the gum to dissolve. Scrape it off and treat the area with liquid stain remover.
Hair spray for ink
- Any time you have ink spot on your clothes, spray some hair spray on it before washing it in a laundry machine. You may also use this remedy for lipstick stains. Apply the spray to the spot and scrub until stain disappears, then wash as usual.
Wet the bloodstain area with water and soak it in hydrogen peroxide for about 30 minutes. Remove and rinse clothe with cold water and then wash it normally as you usually do or in a laundry machine.
Another way to do this is to apply salt to the bloodstain area and pat it with cold wet cloth until the blood is removed then wash it in laundry machine. This remedy can be applied to wine spots too. You can also spray the area with hair spray and rinse it off a number of times to remove bloodstain. Wash the cloth in laundry machine after that with your homemade laundry soap or any other detergent.
Ammonia can also be used for bloodstain on cotton and some synthetic fabric but not batik, tie-dyed items, and silk. Rinse the stained spot with cold water, pour some ammonia into the area and run it in water and blot it out.
Vinegar for odor
- You will need a homemade laundry soap to remove the stubborn lingering smells such as cigarette smoke, barbecue smoke, and sweaty armpit smell from the clothes. Just add a little white vinegar to the homemade laundry soap or commercial detergent you are using to get the desired results.
- Add baking soda to your laundry clothes alongside your washing soap to make your white whiter.
Laundry softener substitute
- It is good to have these softeners around you if you do laundry but if you run out of it and need some urgently, just make your own. Take 1 part of hair conditioner and add 10 parts of water to it and add it to your clothes in the laundry machine.
Laundry machine cleaner
- Run your laundry machine with a cup of white vinegar once a month without clothes to clean out hoses and detergent built ups.
On the whole, you can make your own homemade laundry soap especially the one with fels-naptha soap to remove stains and also to last you for months. The other tips and best way to do laundry efficiently can go a long way in reducing some cleaning frustrations.
Return to home page